Shiitake/Portobello Mushroom Steak Burgers w/ Cheddar & Onion
Makes 2 servings
• 4 shiitake or portobello mushrooms, de-stemmed. You can find them in Asian markets, they’re about palm-sized.
• 2 palm sized steaks of your choice – I used beef. Leave the fat on.
• 1 onion, sliced into rings or half-rings.
• Fresh, sharp cheddar cheese.
• Butter for frying.
• Fry in butter or grill the steaks.
• In the leftover butter and juices, fry the mushrooms briefly, starting with the underside, then flip. 30-45 seconds on high each side should be enough.
• You can easily add other toppings, like some leafy greens. Bok choy works surprisingly well, as does baby spinach.
Images and content copyright Dannielle Levan, 2012. Strangekitty Cooks